Checklist for computer safety
Go through our checklist to ensure you are safe online.
- Ensure that the operating system on your computer is updated automatically
- Always say yes to updates of programs that you know, and that you have already installed on your computer
- Install an anti-virus program
- Ensure that you have a firewall
- Think of what types of websites you visit and what you download, and never install unfamiliar programs
Passwords and login
- Secure your computer with a password so that is locked to strangers
- The password should contain at least eight characters in random order.
- Use all types of characters in the passwords, capital and lower case letters, numbers and special signs.
- Never chose a password that can be linked back to you, like names of children, pets or social security number.
- Avoid often-used words like “summer” or “password”.
- If logged in, always log out from a website when you are finished.
- Do not leave your computer in your car or other places where it is easily stolen.